There are very few places I’ll go order nachos at. Despite how simple they are to make, not many places do them right!
Either the chips get soggy, there’s not enough salsa, or the entire dish is just bland. This is usually due to the fact that the salsa comprises of a can of tomatoes that’s barely been cooked down – gross. And don’t even get me started on guacamole that started as a green powder!
My tray bake of Chorizo nachos is just right. The Chorizo packs a major flavour punch, and the fact that the chips are laid flat on a tray means that every chip is coated in saucy, cheesy deliciousness.
Make these scrumptious nachos as a party snack or a casual weekend dinner for 4. Whatever the occasion, a jug of mojito is an absolute must!
How to make chorizo nachos
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red chilli chopped
- Half Chorizo sausage diced
- 4 or 5 soft tomatoes diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 ripe avocados
- Half red onion finely diced
- 1 firm tomato diced
- Handful fresh coriander chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 bag Mexicorn corn chips
- 250g cheddar cheese grated
- 4 Tbs cream cheese
- Fresh coriander to garnish
1. Saute onion in olive oil.
2. Once onion is translucent add garlic and chilli to the pan and fry until fragrant.
3. Add Chorizo to the pan and fry until oils are extracts and Chorizo is crispy.
4. Add tomatoes to pan and allow to simmer for approximately 30 minutes until reduced and saucy. The salsa mustn’t be too “wet” as this will make the chips soggy.
5. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper.
6. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
7. While salsa is cooking, place avocado into a bowl and mash.
8. Add red onion, tomato, coriander, and lime juice to avo. Season to taste and set aside until needed.
9. Line an oven tray with greaseproof baking paper and lay out nacho chips in a single layer.
10. Once salsa has reduced pour evenly over nacho chips.
11. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place into oven until cheese has melted.
12. Turn on grill and allow the cheese to brown slightly for about 3 minutes,
13. Remove nachos from oven and dollop with guacamole and cream cheese. Garnish with coriander.