There’s something about pickled onions that men in particular just can’t get enough of. Maybe because when paired with a strong mature cheddar and a good beer, they turn into something so deliciously spectacular.
So skip the socks, boxers, and biltong this year, and make these super tasty pickled onions for dad this Fathers Day instead! They’re the gift that keeps on giving since they’re only ready in two weeks, and last for months in the fridge.
Plus, you can rustle them up pretty darn quickly, without having to mindlessly browse some soul suck shopping mall – score! And trust me, Dad wouldn’t want you to.
500g peeled small/pickling onions (10 – 12 onions)
500g malt vinegar (or half white, half malt)
2tsp coriander seeds
2tsp mixed peppercorns
1tsp yellow mustard seeds
1tsp brown mustard seeds
2 small bay leaves
2 small chillies (optional)
1Tbs raw honey
1. Sprinkle salt over onions in a bowl, and leave to sit for at least 4 hours or overnight. This draws moisture out of onions, keeping them crispy during pickling.
2. Rinse onions and dry thoroughly. Place onions in a large glass jar.
3. Put vinegar, spices, bay leaves, chillies, and honey in a small pot and bring to a medium heat for 10 minutes.
Leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes, then pour over onions in glass jar.
4. Seal onions and leave to pickle for at least two weeks in a cool spot, or in the fridge.
5. Serve onions with crackers, cheddar cheese, and beer!