I rarely have the time or patience to create my own elaborate desserts at home. So, when I dare brave a homemade sweet treat, it’s usually as simple, speedy, and delicious as this one.
This galette, or sweet puff pastry tart, is so simple to whip up. Plus you’re bound to have most, if not all ingredients on-hand at any given time.
The forgiving nature of puff pastry also means that it always lands up looking attractively “rustic” no matter how ungraceful you’ve been during its creation. Perfect!
How to make peach and thyme galette
- 1 roll ready-made puff pastry thawed
- 4 soft peaches sliced (I used up a few peaches that were just on the wrong side of ripe. This recipe is great for using up any overripe stone fruit!)
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 egg lightly whisked for egg-wash
- Handful pistachios roughly chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- Cream or ice-cream to serve
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Prepare an oven tray by covering it with baking paper.
3. Roll out puff pastry into an oval-like shape and place on oven tray.
4. Prick pastry with a fork.
5. Arrange peach slices on puff pastry in a concentric circular fashion starting in the middle and leaving an approximate 4 -5 cm border.
6. Fold the pastry border over the peach slice filling.
7. Sprinkle peaches evenly with sugar.
8. Tuck 3 – 4 sprigs of thyme among the peach slices.
9. Brush egg-wash over folded edges of pastry.
10. Place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove and then sprinkle with pistachios and return to oven for another 10 – 15 minutes until pastry is golden and crispy.
11. Once ready, remove galette from oven, and remove and discard roasted sprigs of thyme.
12. Dip fresh bunch of thyme into honey, and use to brush the peaches. This adds extra flavour, as well as pretty shine.
13. Serve immediately topped with cream or ice-cream!