Crispy baked sweet potato chips aren’t that easy to achieve. Crispy being the operative word! Sweet potatoes have a much higher water content than white potatoes which makes them a lot harder to get crisp. But with a little time and patience, the elusive crispy baked sweet potato chip can be yours.
I love these because they’re delicious, comforting, and believe it or not, healthy! I serve them with a mayo/sriracha dipping combo – tomato sauce just doesn’t cut it here. Pair these baked sweet potato chips with a homemade burger, or a grilled steak. I promise you won’t miss those oily, deep fried white fries!
Here’s 7 small, but important steps to creating the baked sweet potato chips of your dreams:
1. Dry your potato to the point of obsession before cutting it.
2. Try cut your potato into evenly sized chips that aren’t too thin.
3. Don’t drown your chips in oil! Lightly does it.
4. Don’t season your chips until just before serving.
5. Space evenly and turn frequently.
6. Grill at the end for extra crisp.
7. Allow to cool slightly before eating for even more extra crisp!
1 medium bone dry sweet potato cut into chips – make sure your sweet potato isn’t too long!
Salt and pepper to serve
Tbs fresh coriander leaves to serve (optional)
Mayo and Sriracha to dip into (optional)
1. Pre-heat your oven on the combined bake and grill setting to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Place sweet potato chips in a bowl and drizzle VERY lightly with olive oil – Too much and it’ll make your potatoes soggy. Toss to coat.
3. Line an oven tray with baking paper and lay the sweet potato chips in an even, spaced out layer – Don’t season at this point as salt could cause the potatoes to release moisture.
4. Place sweet potatoes in the oven, and bake for 20 – 30 mins until cooked.
5. Take tray out of oven and turn each chip over. Return tray to the oven for another 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
6. Turn oven to grill only and grill for approximately 5 minutes, before turning each chip over and grilling on the other side for another 3 minutes.
7. When chips are well caramalised, remove from oven and allow to sit for 3 – 5 minutes. They should crisp up a little more during this time.
8. Now season liberally, scatter with fresh coriander and serve.