These chicken parmigiana burgers are a wonderful fusion of Italian and American cuisines, and one which I’m sure neither nation would be particularly proud of! However, I dare either to dislike it!
Upon devouring, you’ll surely wonder why you’ve never put chicken parmigiana between bread before! It has everything required for the makings of a winning burger – the chicken is crisp, the napolitana style sauce is tangy and chunky, and the mozarella is oozy, stringy, and cheesy – perfect!
The kids will adore the egging and breading process, and I’m certain you’ll find a fair amount of joy in the chicken breast bashing too – there’s something oddly stress-relieving about it!
How to make chicken parmigiana burgers
- 4 free range chicken breasts flattened with tenderiser
- 4 extra large free range eggs mixed together for coating
- Approximately 200g of bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 Tbs thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- Half – 1 tsp cayenne pepper depending on desired heat
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 slices mozarella
- 4 large rolls (I used paninis)
1. Season flattened chicken breasts lightly, and then combine bread crumbs, parmesan, and thyme in a large, flat dish.
2. Salt and pepper bread crumb mixture to taste.
3. Dip chicken breasts in egg, and then bread crumbs, and repeat for a double breaded, extra crispy effect.
4. Heat a pan to medium high with a generous amount of oil and butter.
5. Fry chicken breasts for a minute or two each side until breading is crispy and golden, but chicken is not cooked through. Set aside breasts for later.
6. Heat another pan and saute the onion until translucent, and then add garlic to fry until fragrant.
7. Saure tomato paste for a minute, and then add canned tomatoes, and bring to the boil for a minute.
8. Reduce heat to simmering, and add sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, and oregano, and stir.
9. Simmer until desired thickness, and season to taste. Set aside for later.
10. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and bake chicken breasts for 5 – 10 minutes until cooked through but still juicy and tender.
11. Once cooked, place chicken breasts in an oven dish, top with sauce and mozarella, and return to oven for a minute or two until cheese is melted.
12. Serve chicken breasts in rolls alongside chips or salad.