Baked brie en croute is simply a chunk of cheese baked in puff pastry – such a simple pleasure! However, serve it with cranberry puree, sliced apple, crushed almonds, throw in an impromptu bellini, and you have something quite sophisticated and spectacular that can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes – perfect for an easy indulgence or quick treat for unexpected guests.
A bellini, by the way, is a traditional Italian aperitif consisting of Prosecco and peach puree. But, with so much cranberry puree on-hand, and a bottle of bubbly in my wine rack, I thought the bellini could do with a little tweaking. Sit down to gooey oozing brie enveloped by perfectly puffed puff, paired with fruity bubbles on any winter’s day for a guaranteed pick-me-up.
Quick note: You’ll probably be left with a lot of cranberry puree post baked brie en croute feasting. Add it to oats, yoghurt, or chia seed pudding, use it to sandwich a victoria sponge, or top pastry rounds with it – go wild!
1 sheet (250g) all-butter puff pastry thawed – I got mine from Woolies, and trust me it’s worth the splurge. All-butter puff is life changing!
1 wheel brie/camembert
1 clove garlic halved
2 small rosemary sprigs
1 egg whisked for coating pastry
2 cups (350g) frozen cranberries
4 Tbs honey, plus more if desired
Half a green apple sliced
Handful almonds roughly chopped
Sparkling white wine to serve
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Make incisions in the cheese and push the garlic and rosemary into them.
3. Wrap cheese in pastry, wash with egg, and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
4. In the meantime, put cranberries in a pot/pan with a dash of water and bring to a boil.
5. Cook until cranberries burst open and water reduces.
6. Allow to cool slightly, place in blender with honey and puree. You may need to add a little more water.
7. When pastry is cooked through, remove cheese from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Piping hot molten cheese is deadly!
8. Place a teaspoon of cranberry puree into glasses, top with bubbly and serve brie en croute with apples and almonds.